Are you interested in writing for children but unsure where to start? Or maybe you've been writing for a while but would like a grounding in the basics?
All Stories is offering in-person and online writing workshops to aspiring writers from underrepresented groups. Each two-hour workshop will cover everything from choosing your readership and concept to developing plot and characterisation, with time for questions and discussion. For further support, participants will be invited to join writing groups after the workshops – see below for more details.
Each workshop will be presented by either Patrice Lawrence or Jane Elson, both award-winning authors, giving you an incredible opportunity to learn from a master of storytelling.
The in-person workshops will be held in various library locations in Essex and one in Croydon. This is intended as a pilot, with the workshops rolled out across the country in future years. The online workshops are available to anyone resident in the UK who comes from an underrepresented group.
Click on a link below to sign up for one of the workshops via Eventbrite. They are first-come, first served, each with a waiting list available.
- Clacton Library: Saturday 7th May 2022, 2pm–4pm – presented by Patrice Lawrence
- Basildon Library: Tuesday 10th May 2022, 7pm–9pm – presented by Jane Elson
- Grays Library: Tuesday 17th May 2022, 7pm–9pm – presented by Patrice Lawrence
- Harlow Library: Saturday 9th July 2022, 2pm–4pm – presented by Patrice Lawrence
- Stanley Arts, Norwood: Tues 12th July 2022, 6.30–8.30pm – presented by Jane Elson
- Online (live stream): Tuesday 24th May 2022, 7pm–9pm – presented by Jane Elson
- Online (recording): Saturday 11th June 2022, 10am–12pm – presented by Jane Elson
- Online (with British Sign Language interpretation): Tuesday 26th July 2022, 6.30pm–8.30pm – presented by Jane Elson
NB: As the content of each workshop will be the same, we kindly ask that you do not sign up for more than one workshop, so that as many people as possible have access to this opportunity.
Writing doesn't have to be a purely solo activity! Being part of a writing community can make a huge difference to your creativity and commitment to developing your work. All Stories will be further supporting workshop participants by helping to establish regular writing groups in each library location – and online.
We hope you will want to access this additional opportunity. You will have the chance to register your interest in joining a writing group when you sign up for the event.